From the Editor: Universal Truths
Cabin Life Left Header Ad
FOLLOW US >

From the Editor: Universal Truths

Page through any issue of Cabin Life, and you’ll find vacation homes from a variety of locations across the U.S. The June 2014 issue is no different, as you’ll find getaways in Tennessee, North Carolina, Maine, Minnesota and Wisconsin. And we feature not only cabins, but also cottages, lakehomes, camps, country homes and more. No matter where our vacation homes are located or what we call our retreats, there are certain truths that unite us. And it’s those common truths that matter most of all.

First, cabin owners share a love for the great outdoors. This passion for nature is even apparent in the way we refer to our places: “I’m going up north Friday” or “We’re going to spend June at the lake.” And how about those getaways where the square footage of the outdoor living spaces – decks, porches and patios – exceeds that of the actual living quarters? Cabin enthusiasts call that “having your priorities straight.”

Secondly, cabin lifers seek connection at their vacation homes. When we escape to our favorite place – whether it’s a lake cottage, woodland cabin or a mountain camp – we have the time and energy to connect meaningfully with nature, family and friends, and reconnect with the best parts of ourselves.

During the 13 years I’ve edited Cabin Life, I’ve been impressed with the pioneering spirit of the cabin owners whose stories we’ve had the honor of sharing. I’ve come across many creative, self-sufficient DIYers and problem solvers. Some construct their own outdoor showers, others erect over-the-top tree houses, and some even build their own log cabins.

You cabiners are an impressive bunch. Thanks for letting us tell your stories.
<i>Cabin Life</i> editor Mark Johnson and Charlie, his chocolate Lab

Editor's Picks

All products featured are carefully reviewed and selected by our editors. As an Amazon Associate, we earn a commission from qualifying purchases.

Subscribe Now + Get 2 Free Gifts!