?>

“Frozen” Concert at the Cabin

An impromptu concert of “Let it Go” (from the “Frozen” soundtrack) on the cabin deck. Video submitted by Sandy Zwick, Lake Arrowhead, Wis.

Playing Fetch Without a Lake

Our chocolate Lab loves to play fetch on land and in the water. When we’re at home and can’t get to the cabin or to a nearby lake for fetch, I fill up our kiddie pool with water out in our yard so our dog can have water with her fetch. As you can see, […]

Puppy Encounters a Young Fawn

Our puppy (a Jack Russell terrier and beagle mix) was probably less than 8 months old and under 20 pounds when this video was taken. Based on that size, this fawn was probably only days old. Video submitted by John Krahulec, Capon Bridge, W.V.

Time for a Trim

About 30 feet beyond the front porch, which is our summer dining and living room, is a stand of cedars. The cedars offer erosion control for the bank and a privacy shield from traffic on the lake. But every decade or so, the cedars begin to block our view of the lake. And the dreaded […]

To Motor or to Paddle?

Are you a PWC-riding or kayak-paddling kind of guy or gal?  Just be honest and answer the question without reading into it. It’s okay; this isn’t some kind of political correctness test. You won’t be branded a motorhead or granola-muncher. This is about a preference in watercraft and how you enjoy your time on the […]

Training at the Cabin

Okay, what do you call two people who spend their cabin weekends swimming, biking and running just for the fun of it? Crazy! But for my husband, Jeff, and me, our favorite pastime is to compete in triathlons in the summer months, which requires us to put in some serious miles to prepare. So, what […]

Cabinitis: Trees R Us

I have been living a very dangerous life! Since we purchased our cabin in 1992, I have had to cut down a hundred or so trees. And that is very risky business.  Now before anyone rushes out to have me pilloried as a destroyer of greenery, let me explain.My cabin sits in a heavily wooded […]

‘Twas the Day Before Christmas

In the December 2013 issue, Larry Whiteley shared some great holiday gift ideas for the angler on your list. Here, he channels his inner Clement Clark Moore with a fun poem about fishing on Christmas Eve. ‘Twas the day before Christmas as I snuck through the house grabbing […]

From the Editor: Universal Truths

Page through any issue of Cabin Life, and you’ll find vacation homes from a variety of locations across the U.S. The June 2014 issue is no different, as you’ll find getaways in Tennessee, North Carolina, Maine, Minnesota and Wisconsin. And we feature not only cabins, but also cottages, lakehomes, camps, country homes and more. No […]

Up Here Down There

Like cell phones, I don’t work up here in cabin country. I leave my work down there, in the big city, where it belongs. Sure, in a few more weeks, I’ll paint the window trims and eaves while it’s still warm enough and take out the dock and drain the water lines before it gets […]