?>

Jingle Bells, Grandma Rocks

There’s nothing like cabins and Christmas to awaken the inner child.
By Christy Heitger-Ewing

One Christmas when I was a young girl, my dad’s parents drove up to the cabin to spend the holiday with my family. My brother Danny and I asked Grandma if she would sleep with us on the cabin’s lumpy, bumpy hideaway bed […]

Nature’s Paintbrush

Get snappin’! We want to see your photos of fun times at the cabin!

1] Forest of Color – In the fall, this is a typical scene from the trails that lead up to Sugarloaf Mountain in Marquette, Mich. Photo by Cecilia Theisen.

2] Carhartt & Canines – The members of this little cabin family all wore Carhartt-brand clothing during […]

Up North in Wisconsin

Where the squirrels and the otters play.
Story & photos by Pat Krohlow

My spot Up North is on the Peshtigo River and High Falls Flowage. We are 15 miles northwest of Crivitz, Wis. My cabin isn’t as grand as most of those featured in Cabin Living magazine. That said, my cabin life is second to none.

For […]

The Longest Mile to the Remote, Rustic Cabin

Some cabins are worth a grueling hike in deep snow.
Story & Photos by John DiGirolamo

Well, I don’t actually own a cabin. But, I love the mountain cabin lifestyle. Occasionally, my family and I enjoy cabin living by spending a few days at one of the Summit Huts in Breckenridge, Colo. These rustic cabins are not […]

Back in Time – Christmas at the Cabin

“How would you like to spend Christmas at the cabin?”
By Christy Heitger-Ewing

I knew I was in trouble when I asked my son Kyler what he wanted for Christmas, and he replied, “A time machine.”

Gee whiz, when I was a kid, all I wanted was a winking Western Barbie.

“Where would you go in your time machine?” […]

Passing Down the Family Cabin

A little financial planning goes a long way toward preserving a lifetime of memories.
Story by Sally A. Kane, esq.

Your cabin is more than a piece of property, it is a place where memories are made. Wherever your cabin is located, it is a place to treasure the days of swimming, fishing, hiking, skiing, or just […]

Innocence Lost

By Sean Michael Bradley

I have always tried to keep my memories of our old family cabin special, filled with campfire stories and fishing trips or visits from bear cubs and nightly raccoons.

But if you were to talk to my family about the old cabin – the cabin we traveled to for 10 summers – only […]

A Solid Foundation

An excerpt from the book “Cabin Lessons: A Nail-by-Nail Tale.”
By Spike Carlsen

Don’t let the nonambulatory state of a cabin mislead you; it’s a living thing. The 100-amp electrical service panel is the brain; the wires are the nerve fibers; the outlets, switches and lights are the nerve endings. The hot and cold water pipes are […]

Crossing a Beaver Dam in a Chevy Truck

My father-in-law owns a cabin on 120 acres of wooded wilderness in northern Wisconsin. Beavers have taken up residence in the creek that runs through the property, making it difficult for us to reach our prime deer hunting locations. This summer, I crossed the dam with my 2006 Chevrolet Silverado to transport insulated panels for […]

“Frozen” Concert at the Cabin

An impromptu concert of “Let it Go” (from the “Frozen” soundtrack) on the cabin deck. Video submitted by Sandy Zwick, Lake Arrowhead, Wis.